Top 5 Tips for Faculty
- Get step-by-step guidance in setting up your course using the built-in Course Setup Checklist.
From “Home” in your Canvas course site, look in the right-hand column to find the Course Setup Checklist.
- Modules are the heart of Canvas.
Think of Modules like a table of contents. Each page you create--whether content, an assignment, a quiz, or another tool--becomes a line, and you can organize pages into modules, like units or chapters. Don’t forget to publish your modules! You can hide (unpublish) or show (publish) pages, but if a published page is inside an unpublished module, students still won’t be able to see it.
- Hide the course navigation items your students do not need to see and reorder the ones they will use to make their navigation of the course easier and more intuitive.
- Notify your students that you will be using Canvas for your course by sending them a message (see What to Tell Students). You can communicate with your class using the Canvas announcement feature.
- Keep your students happy by sharing with them how to change notifications.
Once you have made you course available to student, each change you make will trigger a notification. Canvas lets each user decide how to get notifications (by email or text), what notifications are sent, and how often each notification is sent. By default, students will receive notifications every time you make a change in the class.
- Receive Systems Status Updates (check and subscribe to):